A denim blazer is a versatile and stylish piece that can elevate any outfit. Whether you want to dress it up or down, a denim blazer can add some texture, color, and flair to your look. But how do you style a denim blazer for different occasions? What do you wear with it, and what do you avoid?
In this article, we’ll show you how to style a denim blazer for any occasion, from casual to formal, from work to weekend. We’ll also give you some tips on how to choose the right denim blazer for your body type, personality, and budget. By the end of this article, you’ll be ready to rock a denim blazer with confidence and ease.
What is a denim blazer?
A denim blazer is a jacket that is made from denim fabric, usually cotton. It has a similar shape and structure as a traditional blazer, but with a more casual and relaxed vibe. A denim blazer typically has a notched lapel, a single or double-breasted button closure, long sleeves, and flap pockets.
A denim blazer can come in various washes and colors, from light to dark, from blue to black. It can also have different details and embellishments, such as contrast stitching, metal buttons, rivets, patches, or embroidery.
A denim blazer is different from a denim jacket in several ways:
- It’s more fitted and tailored: A denim blazer has a more structured and slim fit than a denim jacket, which is usually looser and boxier. A denim blazer follows the contours of your body and accentuates your waist, while a denim jacket hangs loosely over your frame.
- It’s more formal and polished: A denim blazer has a more refined and sophisticated look than a denim jacket, which is more rugged and casual. A denim blazer can be worn for business or dressy occasions, while a denim jacket is more suitable for leisure or streetwear.
- It’s more versatile and adaptable: A denim blazer can be styled in more ways than a denim jacket, which is more limited in its options. A denim blazer can be paired with different fabrics, colors, patterns, and accessories, while a denim jacket tends to clash with some items.
How to choose the right denim blazer
Before you style your denim blazer, you need to choose the right one for you. Here are some factors to consider when shopping for a denim blazer:
- Size: A denim blazer should fit you well without being too tight or too loose. You should be able to button it comfortably without any gaps or wrinkles. You should also be able to move your arms freely without feeling restricted or pulling the fabric.
- Length: A denim blazer should hit at your hip bone or slightly below it. It should not be too long or too short for your torso. A longer blazer can make you look shorter or frumpy, while a shorter blazer can make you look disproportionate or unfinished.
- Color: A denim blazer can come in any color you like, but the most common ones are blue and black. Blue is the classic color of denim that goes with almost anything. Black is the modern color of denim that adds some edge and contrast to your outfit. You can also opt for other colors like white, gray, or even pink if you want to make a statement.
- Wash: A denim blazer can have different washes that affect its appearance and feel. Washes refer to the treatments that are applied to the fabric to create different effects. Some common washes are:
- Raw: Raw denim is untreated and unwashed. It has a dark and stiff look that fades over time with wear and wash. Raw denim is durable and high-quality, but it requires more care and maintenance.
- Stone wash: Stone wash is achieved by washing the fabric with pumice stones that create abrasions and whiskers on the surface. Stone wash gives the fabric a soft and worn-in look that is comfortable and casual.
- Acid wash: Acid wash is achieved by bleaching the fabric with chlorine or acid that create contrast patches on the surface. Acid wash gives the fabric a light and distressed look that is edgy and trendy.
- Sand wash: Sand wash is achieved by washing the fabric with sand that creates smoothness and softness on the surface. Sand wash gives the fabric a subtle and refined look that is elegant and chic.
- Enzyme wash: Enzyme wash is achieved by washing the fabric with eco-friendly enzyme.
- Laser treatment: Laser treatment is used to obtain faded denim look without using any water or chemical.
- Style: A denim blazer can have different styles that affect its shape and features. Some common styles are:
- Single-breasted: Single-breasted means that the blazer has one row of buttons on the front. Single-breasted is the most common and classic style of blazer that is easy to wear and flattering for most body types.
- Double-breasted: Double-breasted means that the blazer has two rows of buttons on the front. Double-breasted is a more formal and sophisticated style of blazer that adds some drama and dimension to your look.
- Cropped: Cropped means that the blazer is shorter than the usual length. Cropped is a more modern and playful style of blazer that shows off your waist and elongates your legs.
- Oversized: Oversized means that the blazer is larger than the usual size. Oversized is a more relaxed and cozy style of blazer that adds some volume and movement to your look.
How to style a denim blazer for any occasion
Now that you have the perfect denim blazer, it’s time to style it for any occasion. Here are some tips and examples on how to wear a denim blazer for different scenarios:
- Casual: For a casual look, you can pair your denim blazer with jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers. This is a simple and effortless outfit that works for any day of the week. You can also add some accessories like a hat, a scarf, or a backpack to spice it up. For example:
- A light blue denim blazer with a white t-shirt, black skinny jeans, and white sneakers.
- A black denim blazer with a gray t-shirt, blue boyfriend jeans, and black slip-on shoes.
- A white denim blazer with a striped t-shirt, blue cropped jeans, and red converse shoes.
- Business casual: For a business casual look, you can pair your denim blazer with trousers, a blouse, and flats. This is a smart and polished outfit that works for any office or meeting. You can also add some accessories like a belt, a necklace, or a tote bag to elevate it. For example:
- A dark blue denim blazer with a black blouse, gray plaid trousers, and black loafers.
- A gray denim blazer with a white blouse, navy blue chinos, and beige ballet flats.
- A pink denim blazer with a floral blouse, cream-colored pants, and brown mules.
- Dressy: For a dressy look, you can pair your denim blazer with a dress, a skirt, or a jumpsuit. This is a chic and glamorous outfit that works for any party or event. You can also add some accessories like earrings, a clutch, or heels to complete it. For example:
- A black denim blazer with a red lace dress, black tights, and black ankle boots.
- A blue denim blazer with a floral midi skirt, a white tank top, and nude pumps.
- A white denim blazer with a navy blue jumpsuit, gold jewelry, and silver sandals.
A denim blazer is a must-have item in your wardrobe. It’s versatile, stylish, and easy to style for any occasion. You can mix and match it with different items, colors, patterns, and accessories to create endless looks.